About Congregation of the Mother of Carmel
Congregation of Mother of Carmel, the first indigenous religious congregation for women in the Syro Malabar Church, was founded as the Third Order of Carmelites Discalced on February 13th 1866 at Koonammavu by St Kuriakose Elias Chavara. Rev. Fr Leopold Beccaro OCD is its co-founder. On 20th May 1887 by the decree Quod iam pridem of Pope Leo XIII, Syro Malabar Christians were separated from the Latin jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Verapoly and established Syro-Malabar dioceses of Trichur and Kottayam. Tis was a turning point in the life of the then infant Congregation. Both Latin and Syrian bishops claimed the jurisdiction of the convent at koonammavu and 18yh April 1890 verdict reached fromt the Holy See entrusting the convent under the vicariate of Trichur. As a result, on 17th September 1890, there occurred a bifurcation and Latin sisters went to the vicariate of Verapoly and later came to be known as Congregation of Theresian Carmelites(CTC).
With the reorganization of the dioceses of Trichur, Ernakulam and Changanacherry in 1896, the Syrian section got divided into independent units, each of which was directed and patronized by the Local Ordinary of the respective dioceses. The great event of the Unification of the above independent units of the Congregation under one Mother General took place on 16th November 1963. The Congregation was raised to the Pontifical status by the Sacred Congregation for Oriental Churches on 2nd March 1967 under the new name, Congregation of the Mother of Carmel(CMC). Today CMC renders service in four continents like Asia, Africa, America and Europe and she is blessed with 6410 nuns and nearly 500 formees in different stages in 20 provinces and 6 regions. The CMC Generalate is at Thaikattukara, Aluva, Ernakulam.